Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Facebooking, Twittering, and the Death Of Conversation

In recent weeks, I've become a big advocate of Facebook. It's helped me reconnect with people I've not seen in more than 25 years...people I liked, people I didn't necessarily eat lunch with a lot, and people who knew me that I didn't know I knew.

I have some trepidation about Twittering. I'm told the purpose of Twitter is to let people know what you're up to at any given moment of the day. If I wanted anyone to know that, why wouldn't I just tell them? Oh, wait...I know why: because "Facebooking" and "Tweets" have replaced "talking" and "chatting" has replaced "conversation." It's true -- most of the people who are my Facebook "friends" are people I haven't said two words to in over half my life! Maybe it is easier for some; I find it easier to put thoughts together and tend to use fewer expletives when I write than I do when I talk.

Reminds me -- I need to pick up a phone at some point. And call Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment