Tuesday, April 14, 2009

When Your Doctor Uses Certain Words, Pay Attention

I have a love-hate relationship with my physician. Nice lady, very smart and very skillful at letting you know when you're doing the right thing, and when you're not.

Yesterday, she informed me that, based on my current physical condition, I was headed for one big bastard of a stroke.

Let that sink in a moment. I did.

I come to the table genetically predisposed to cancer; heart attacks; stroke; diabetes; alcoholism; and an early death. And, in spite of knowing this, I don't seem to have done much to ward off the threat of a cerebral hemorrhage: at age 42, I am 40 pounds overweight; eat the wrong things in the wrong quantities; my primary exercise consists of taking a crap each morning (to the cheers of the crowd) and walking to the kitchen for a bite to eat.

Figuring all this together, and based on the anticipated results of a battery of tests I'll be taking on Wednesday of this week, I've been given 60 days to lose at least half the excess baggage (and, for those with a public school math education, that's 20 pounds in two months).

I start the day at 230 pounds (standing six foot-nothing in bare feet), with good intentions and pants that are about to quit in protest. I have eaten an orange; oatmeal; some low-sodium vegetable soup; and unsalted, unbuttered popcorn (ever eaten packing peanuts?) today. And, last night, the lovely and patient Mrs. Gossman went on a 30-minute walk with me.

Do any of these lifestyle changes necessarily make me happy? Oh, HELL no. But, I'd rather be alive, healthy and grumpy than disabled and happy...and unable to show it.

Stay tuned. This is going to be difficult...but it is worth doing. Feel free to ask questions.

4 comments:

  1. Wow man! Ain't growin' older crappy sometimes? That's a serious wake up call. On the bright side, you've been given steps to save yourself, and maybe sometimes that's what we need. I'm no health nut, but I do hit the gym at least 4 times a week and I don't go too crazy on junk food. With your lovely wife's support I'm sure you'll not only come through it fine, but probably glad you did. My most positive vibes flow your way, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. Take this from someone who has been down that very rough road. I know how frustrating and irritating and how it will just down right piss you off dealing with this, but if you ever want, I have acquired some great recipes and done a ton of research on how to make that 'lifestyle' change. Let me know, I'll be happy to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, old friend, (and I mean that in the years we've known eachother not in comment to your age)I know what you are going through and I have been there myself, got myself out and now I am back there again. To put it plainly, it SUCKS!!!! I would hate to lose you after just having reconnected so please, eat the unsalted, unbuttered styrafoam packing peanuts, keep walking with Mrs. Gossman and get healthy!!! I'll do it if you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have grown used to the hugs (and at my age you appreciate them all) so take really good care of yourself.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete