Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Sport: UConn Win Again

A lot of people I know could care a whole lot more about women's college basketball than they do.  But that would require them to care AT ALL.
Nonetheless, tonight's accomplishment by Geno Auriemma's UConn Lady Huskies cannot be ignored.  39 wins; ZERO losses; no win by less than ten points all year; and the emergence of Tina Charles as one of this country's best basketball players -- gender notwithstanding.
I went to UConn.  Many times.  I grew up near Storrs, Connecticut (okay, I never attended the University - sue me).  And in the Nutmeg State, they care about this team.  Profusely.  So much so that the state's public broadcaster CPTV televised their games for years, to enormous ratings.
This is the sixth NCAA National Championship for Coach Auriemma, third only to Hall-Of-Famer (and greatest coach of any sport ever) John Wooden's ten titles at UCLA; and Pat Summitt's eight championships with the Lady Vols at Tennessee.
Good on 'em.  They dominated Louisville tonight and twice previously this season.  UConn, much like UNC last night, earned the right to be called "Champion."

No comments:

Post a Comment